ATHEISTS IN CONGRESS.
· There were several candidates for the US Congress who -rumors said- were Atheists. Yet, none of them succeeded being elected. An interesting research report from Pew Research Center (on the religious composition of the US Congress) indicates that while 20% of the US is affiliated Atheist or Agnostic, only 1 out of 535 Congress is an Atheist.
· And that is incorrect! Because, they are referring to Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (Arizona, CD 9, elected 2012) who was the first openly bisexual person to be elected to Congress. She was reported as Atheist, yet she denies it, and prefers instead to eschew the religious labels altogether. ( http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2015/01/only_one_atheist_in_us_congress.html )
• Even Barney Frank has said recently that he is not really a genuine Atheist. By the way, Barney had disclosed he was gay –but only after being already in Congress- and opened up about being Atheist only one year after leaving office.
• Another Congressman who is Atheist is Rep. Pete Stark (an Engineer), CA, who served in Congress from 1973 to 2013, that is his tenure lasted 40 years. He came out in 2007, in other words, the disclosure of being Atheist was made 34 years after being elected.
• So, perhaps other than Presidents Jefferson, Adams, Madison, Taft, and others such as Ben Franklyn … (the so called “Deists”, meaning “Agnostics” in my dictionary, and not the believers that text-books try to portray to high-school students), ... no one who campaigned "openly" as Atheist has ever been elected to the Presidency or to Congress.
1. • The first person to run for the US Congress as open Atheist in modern times –modesty aside- was Juan Xuna in 2002 (please go to www.Xuna.com , click button "Press", and check the article by Award Winning Journalist Bob Norman, he used to write in the New-Time Broward-Palm Beach). Good journalistic exposé by Norman there, please check it out!
This is the direct link ... http://xuna.com/main_pages/newtimes.htm (it is in searchable text, but for scan of article -while there- click button "Actual Scan") ... you could also go to the newpaper's web at ... http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/2002-10-03/news/enter-the-xuna-xone/
2. • The second such was James Woods (D) who run for CD5 in Arizona (2014), losing to incumbent Matt Salmon 70/30. Again, he would have been the first person elected who campaigned openly as Atheist, and also the first blind member of Congress, yet he lost.
3. • Here we go again! John (Juan) Xuna valiantly trying again, this time as a full-fledge Democrat. Times have changed! Yet, I did not!
MY FRIENDS, THE TIME FOR EQUALITY HAS ARRIVED!!
IT IS QUITE CLEAR THAT WE NEED TO ELECT MORE SCIENTIST TO CONGRESS … if that means non-believers, so be it! There is no way to get those scientists unless we destroy the “Atheist barrier”. That implies to concentrate more in scientific credentials, and less in religious credo (or lack of it).
• The "race barrier", the "LGBT barrier, the "gender barrier", and also the "Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist barriers" have been all broken.
Modified on: Monday August 15, 2016
Counter reset on 1/21/2016 when near 19,000 due to "theme" modification that forced Front Page extensions to be rewritten.